12 JANUARY 2021
WHY ARE WE HERE?
- care about Ethiopia and Africa
- think and dream together
- input and partnership
- precarious existence
- 422 million people (out of 1.2 billion) live on less than $2 per day.
- immense natural resources, an increasing number of educated people, growing middle-class populations, dollar billionaires, Western aid…
Societal ills that cause poverty and deadly conflicts:
- Religious extremism
- 2000 years?
- Impressive exponential growth
- A minimal impact in terms of remedying the continent’s societal ills and contributing to moral and economic progress.
- lack of sufficient number of people with changed mind-set and moral values.
- Sophos-Africa seeks to contribute to the development of a critical mass of transformed minds and lives to transform people and places in Africa.
SOPHOS-AFRICA exists to enable individuals and communities in Africa to reconsider, practise and promote Judeo-Christian values towards resilient societal transformation.
- Critical mass: 17.5% (18%)
- 10 years: piloted in Ethiopia and then rolled out to Africa
INTEGRATED STRATEGIC PILLARS:
- Ethical: dislodging corruption by institutionalising ethical stewardship.
- Political: nurturing ethno-cosmopolitan patriotism towards the common good.
- Religious: promoting freedom of religion and preserving peaceful co-existence.
- Economic: poverty alleviation schemes modelled on interdependence.
- Academic: research think-tank to gather and analyse data, and generate ideas.
Activities in 2021: strategic and programmatic planning, partnership and resource development, registration and legal formalities, research and publication.