Economic Empowerment Programmes amongst Women and Young People Guiding principles and approaches:
- Women and youth are selected from all backgrounds.
- The groups are made up of 15-20 members from similar backgrounds.
- Three tiers in this programme.
- Tier I: the poorest of the poor with low or no education.
- Tier II: those with certain level of education, income and entrepreneurial skills.
- Tier III: unemployed college and university graduates.
- The groups are helped to achieve cultural and moral transformation.
- The groups pool resources to build financial capacity
- each group will create a saving scheme
- the capital built will be matched by SOPHOS AFRICA.
- group members will receive loans to start small businesses
- groups build partnerships with financial institutions and business enterprises